[Siguse-l] SIG USE 2009 Symposium - Call for Participation

Soo Young Rieh soorieh at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 10:47:16 EDT 2009

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION (Deadline: September 11, 2009)

Collaborative Information Seeking and Sharing: An Annual Research
Symposium of the Special Interest Group on Information Needs, Seeking
& Use (SIG USE) in celebration of SIG USE’s 10th Anniversary.

Saturday, November 7, 2008, 1:30pm-6pm. Hyatt Regency, Vancouver, BC.
ASIS&T 2009's conference theme, “Thriving on Diversity,” provides an
important opportunity for our Annual Symposium in celebration of SIG
USE’s 10th Anniversary. Building on our people-centered approach, the
reflective moment to be offered by this year's Symposium will be used
to consider the particular challenges of Collaborative Information
Seeking and Sharing. This symposium will offer guided reflection on
essential questions around information behavior research and practice
in social and collaborative information environments: Where is
collaborative information behavior research headed? How are we to
communicate our insights to researchers and practitioners in related
areas of study and design? How can and should our models, theories and
findings inform the design and delivery of collaborative and
innovative information products and services?

The symposium consists of two keynote speeches as well as intensive
seminar discussions. Our speakers include:

* Dr. Diane H. Sonnenwald, Director, Center for Collaborative
Innovation, and Professor at the Swedish School of Information &
Library Science, University of Gothenburg & University of Borås,
Sweden. Diane will share insights gained from her research regarding
the challenges, opportunities and new ways of conducting
multidisciplinary research to facilitate information sharing and
knowledge transfer to better enable our models, theories and findings
to inform the design and implementation of collaboration technology.

* Dr. David McDonald, Associate Professor, the Information School,
University of Washington, and NSF Program Officer in the CISE/IIS
Human-Centered Computing program. Dave will discuss some of the
challenges inherent in conducting computer-supported cooperative work
(CSCW) and collaborative systems design, as well as the new trends
contemplated by NSF.

Submission: Attendees will be asked to submit a short Position Paper
(not a formal paper). The Symposium will follow a seminar format
focusing on rich and stimulating participant discussions. Researchers
and professionals interested in participating should submit a 1-page
position paper (about 300 words) reflecting upon critical questions
for collaborative information behavior research to the Symposium
Organizers not later than September 11, 2009. Please send your
position papers to Nadia Caidi and Soo Young Rieh
(nadia.caidi at utoronto.ca; rieh at umich.edu). Applicants are invited to
reflect on the four questions that will frame the symposium and
present ways that their research addresses them:
* How does our research address the transformative relationship
between people and information?
* What are the fundamental questions that we should be looking at in
our research?
* How are we to move towards making a greater impact on organizations
and designers?
* How can or should collaborative information behavior research be
presented to translate effectively into the language of other
information research communities?

Experienced researchers may share information about their current
research and insights from lessons learned through past projects,
while those new to the field may describe their research or
professional interests related to the Symposium themes. Upon
acceptance, position papers will be posted on a wiki accessible
through the SIG USE website (www.siguse.org) prior to the Symposium.
Small discussion groups will be organized around symposium questions
and themes emerging from position papers. In keeping with the theme of
the Symposium, we will also maintain a Twitter stream for the
Symposium, thus encouraging people to exchange information and
contribute their musings before, during and after the Symposium.
Participants must register with ASIS&T at www.asis.org for the
Symposium. Symposium participants are invited to attend a SIG SI/USE
networking lunch during the time between the SIG SI and USE symposia.
Cost: Pay-on-your-own.
The SIG USE 10th Anniversary Reception will follow the Symposium at 6:30pm.

Fees: Before September 25, 2009, members: $95, non-members: $105.
After September 25, 2009 members $105, non-members: $115. SIG USE
members attending both SIG SI (Morning of Saturday, Nov. 7) and SIG
USE symposiums will receive a $10 discount.

Symposium Organizers:

Nadia Caidi, University of Toronto, Canada. Email: nadia.caidi at utoronto.ca
Soo Young Rieh, University of Michigan. Email: rieh at umich.edu
Guillermo Oyarce, University of North Texas. Email: oyga at unt.edu