[Siguse-l] A bit of ancient history

Professor Tom Wilson t.d.wilson at shef.ac.uk
Tue Jan 2 15:32:03 EST 2007

I made an initial foray into the cellar recently, to begin the process
of throwing away the accumulated junk of years. One of the things I
found there may be of interest to a future historian of information
behaviour research (and, indeed, of what is now called 'information
literacy' research). It's a document I wrote for a UNISIST invitation
meeting in Rome: the UNISIST Seminar on the Education and Training of
Users of Scientific and Technological Information, 18-21 October 1976.
[Clearly, a time when language was plain and straightforward and said
what it meant :-)]

The paper was called: 'The investigation of information use and users'
needs as a basis for training programmes' The paper is now on my Web
site (http://informationr.net/tdw/publ/papers/1976Unesco.html)
slightly tidied up and with a couple of notes added. Devotees of the
arcana of information research may find it interesting for (I think)
the first appearance in print of the framework I evolved during a
doctoral seminar at the University of Maryland in 1971, which
ultimately became part of the models in my 1981 paper. The history of
the evolution of the models is told in Fisher, K.E. et al. (2005).
Theories of information behavior. Medford, NY: Information Today.

--

Professor Tom Wilson, PhD, Hon.Ph.D.,
Publisher and Editor-in-Chief
E-mail: wilsontd at gmail.com