[Siguse-l] FW: [CNI-ANNOUNCE] New paper on Scholarly Communication from Berkeley CSHE

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Fri Sep 15 08:13:58 EDT 2006

[Forwarded.  Dick Hill]

From: CNI-ANNOUNCE -- News from the Coalition [mailto:CNI-ANNOUNCE at cni.org]
On Behalf Of Clifford Lynch
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 8:20 PM
To: CNI-ANNOUNCE -- News from the Coalition
Subject: [CNI-ANNOUNCE] New paper on Scholarly Communication from Berkeley
CSHE

The Center for the Study of Higher Education (CSHE) at UC Berkeley has made
a number of new papers available at

http://cshe.berkeley.edu/publications/papers/papers.html

Of particular interest to CNI-announce readers will be the report

The Influence of Academic Values on Scholarly Publication and Communication
Practices. Diane Harley, Sarah Earl-Novell, Jennifer Arter, Shannon
Lawrence, and C. Judson King. CSHE.13.06. (September 2006)

which describes the findings of a project funded by the Andrew W. Mellon
foundation that seeks to understand how various academic values (including
tenure and promotion concerns) shape choices in scholarly publication and
scholarly communication in different disciplines. You can find more
information on this project at

http://cshe.berkeley.edu/research/scholarlycommunication/index.htm

Disclosure: I am a member of the Steering Commitee for this project.

There is also a new paper

Why Study Users? An Environmental Scan of Use and Users of Digital Resources
in Humanities and Social Sciences Undergraduate Education. Diane Harley,
Jonathan Henke, Shannon Lawrence. CSHE.15.06. (September 2006)

which reports on CSHE work on digital resources supporting undergraduate
humanities and social science education; I have posted information on
earlier reports from this project here before. The overall project is
described at

http://cshe.berkeley.edu/research/digitalresourcestudy/index.htm

Clifford Lynch
Director, CNI