[Siguse-l] Blogs and Wikis at ASIS&T 2005 Annaul

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Tue Oct 4 08:24:18 EDT 2005

This message is being sent to ASIS&T members and several ASIST lists, to
announce two important additions to the ASIS&T 2005 conference.   We
apologize if you receive multiple copies of this announcement. And we are
grateful for the initiative and skills of the developers, Beatrice Pulliam,
Brad Hemminger and Jackson Fox.  Volunteers truly do make ASIS&T what it is.

Blogs and Wikis at ASIS&T 2005 Conference

This year for the first time, ASIS&T will host both a Blog and a Wiki,
dedicated to the ASIST 2005 conference.   You've heard lots about blogs and
wikis in recent years, including at ASIS&T.   You may already be a frequent
user of them.  This year we hope you will participate by viewing or
contributing to one or both of them.   Our goal is to facilitate all types
of communication related to the conference: writing your thoughts about the
conference, discussing papers, planning birds of a feather dinner outings,
finding out about things to see in Charlotte, etc.  We welcome all
participation, and your feedback, so that we can continue to improve your
ability to communicate with your colleagues.   The blog and the wiki will be
available before, during and after the conference.   Their home page web
addresses are below, and they are also linked off of the ASIST program
website.  Please try them!

ASIS&T 2005 Blog:  http://asist2005.neasist.org
Sponsor:  ASIST and New England Chapter of ASIS&T (NEASIST)
Editor:    Beatrice Pulliam, Providence College,    Chair-Elect, New England
Chapter

information about conference session discussions, highlights, and other
ASIS&&T Annual activities (SIG Dinners and Meetings, SIGCON, etc.), to
provide a central portal of resources to assist attendees in maximizing
their conference experience, and to reinvigorate the community of practice
of information sharing among member colleagues! We are inviting
attendees-first-timers and long-standing members alike-to contribute to the
conference blog.  Those interested in blogging from the ASIS&T blog should
contact asistblog at neasist.org or track down Beatrice Pulliam at the
conference.  Entries will be listed in reverse chronological order, and
organized by "categories" to help readers to quickly locate content of
interest.  All blog posts are open for commenting by meeting attendees and
readers experiencing the conference virtually.

ASIS&T 2005 Wiki:  http://ils.unc.edu/asist2005/wiki/
Sponsor:  ASIST and UNC School of Information and Library Science
Editors/Developers: Brad Hemminger & Jackson Fox, University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill

space for people to interact about the conference program and activities, in
hopes of enriching attendee's experiences, as well as providing lasting
value in comments and reviews.  The wiki's structure follows that of the
conference program.  Each activity or listing in the conference program web
pages has its own wiki link, which takes you to the wiki page specific to
that program activity.  Wiki's by design allow everyone to add comments by
editing "community" pages.  Thus, anyone can contribute to a page.
Examples:

Ask a question or comment on a paper:  You can ask questions or add comments
on a conference paper: before the conference so that the author can take it
into consideration, during the conference like a blogger, or afterwards, to
keep the conversation going.   All the questions and comments are
consolidated on the wiki page for that paper, making it easy to review
everything relevant to that paper.
Suggest a Birds of a Feather dinner outing:  Post a notice in the Birds of a
Feather area for a topic.  Solicit people to attend.  They can sign
themselves up online.  Negotiate where and when to meet online.
Share information about activities in Charlotte:  Post information about fun
things to do in the Charlotte area.  Look over what others have suggested.

_____
Richard B. Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
Fax: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900