[Siguse-l] Best user studies?

Rachel Fleming May rfmay at bama.ua.edu
Thu Dec 1 15:41:35 EST 2005

Hello, SIGUSErs.

After Dr. Jim Nyce of Emporia State University posted this query (see
below) to JESSE he and I agreed that asking the question of SIGUSE
subscribers would be a good thing to do, also. Being a list subscriber
(and quite interested in his question), I offered to pass his email on
to the list. I know it's a busy time of year; I appreciate (in
adavance) your taking the time to respond.

Thanks,
Rachel Fleming May

From: J Nyce <jnyce at ROCKETMAIL.COM>
Subject: Best user studies...

One of LIS contributions to the scientific literature has in the area
of user studies, where a particular user group's (occupation,
demographic category for example) information needs are defined.  In a
PhD class recently students asked me if anyone has ever put together,
out of this large literature, a top ten or twenty "hits".

This seems a logical forum to post this question.  If you had to name
the "best," however you define "best", user studies, which would you
name?

Much thanks (from my students and me).

JM Nyce

Rachel Fleming May
Doctoral Student
College of Communication & Information Sciences
University of Alabama