[Siguse-l] suggestions for ASIS&T AM 04 special sessions needed

Erdelez, Sanda ErdelezS at missouri.edu
Tue Dec 16 17:09:57 EST 2003

Hello to SIG USE members et al.:

First, I would like to introduce myself as a new SIG USE chair for
2003/4.  I am an associate professor at the School of Information
Science and Learning Technologies at University of Missouri-Columbia. My
research interests are information encountering, modeling human
information behavior, HIB in e-environments, and research methodologies
for user studies.

Under dynamic leadership of our past-chair, Dania Bilal (Tennessee)
during 2003 SIG USE had several major activities:

-         organization of the 3rd Annual Research Symposium, which
examined theoretical frameworks for information behavior and had 40
participants

-         sponsorship of 5 panel sessions at AM 2003,

-         publication of the first issue of SIG USE Newsletter, and

-         an active electronic discussion list with 380+ subscribers
(that's you1)

Another impressive fact is that currently SIG USE has 299 members; a 65%
increase compared to July 2002 (181).  Based on these accomplishments,
our SIG was awarded the 2003 ASSIS&T SIG of the Year Award! (Thanks for
your hard work Dania and other past officers.)

Of course, we need to continue to excel and further strengthen the
community of HIB researchers and other professionals. Our very next task
is to prepare for the ASIS&T AM 2004 in Providence, RI. The submission
deadline for special sessions is January 17. So far, at the SIG USE
planning session in Long Beach the following panel topics have been
proposed:

- Affective considerations in user behavior (Diane Nahl, Hawaii)

- Bilingual and cross-cultural issues with children as info users (Dania
Bilal, Tennessee)

- "Rumors of user's death have been greatly exaggerated" (SIG USE
response to the "Death of the User" Panel by SIGs HFIS&CRIT at AM03).

I am asking the nominators of the above topics to confirm their
commitment to submitting proposals. If you have any other suggestions or
plans please share these on this forum by the end of this week (12/21)
so we could collectively facilitate the planning process (e.g., finding
speakers, co-sponsorship with other SIGs, etc.).

Cheers,

Sanda Erdelez

SIG USE Chair

Dr. Sanda Erdelez

Associate Professor

School of Information Science and Learning Technologies

University of Missouri - Columbia

221 H Townsend Hall

Columbia, MO 65211

USA