[Sigsti-l] Fwd: [CHMINF-L] Librarian status, CHE article

Moriana Garcia garciam at denison.edu
Thu Mar 21 16:07:01 EDT 2013

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bob Buntrock <buntrock16 at roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Subject: [CHMINF-L] Librarian status, CHE article
To: CHMINF-L <CHMINF-L at list.indiana.edu>

  I just stumbled across and article in the Chronicle of Higher Education
(3/18/13), “As Their Roles Change, Some Librarians Lose Faculty
Status<http://chronicle.com/article/As-Role-of-Librarians-Evolves/137937/?key=GTl7KQVuaSRCZi5mYjxBZDZdbH1tMEtwZ3VEa3V9blBWFg%3D%3D>”.
Status roles included faculty, both tenure track and non, and support
staff.  The University of Virginia and East Carolina Univ. are featured.
In both cases, demotion to staff is in progress.  The comments are even
more illuminating including responses from librarians who had worked both
as faculty and as staff and found pluses and minuses in both roles.  In
general, condemnation was the common opinion and criticism was heaped on
the ALA and Maureen Sullivan, a consultant and ALA President.

Even though not a librarian and not having been a member of ALA or SLA, I
have worked in a non-academic library and know several academic
librarians.  Even I would be interested in the views of librarians
expressed on this site.

-- Bob Buntrock
Buntrock Associates
Orono, ME