No subject

Tue Dec 6 21:19:24 EST 2011

2 things hurting science library recruiting. First is money. If you think
about the money available to traditional scientists (engineers, chemists,
etc.), it is very different than what an informational professional would
earn. It took me quite a while to convince my wife that money was not the
most important thing, but happiness and health were more important. From
my undergrad acquaintances, more than half would say they wanted to be
chemical engineers because of the money.

Second, I do not think many people with a science background understand
library/information science and its importance. If I had not worked in the
library as a student assistant, I would never have appreciated the
importance of the library and its staff. I probably would not have done
well on my reports, without the skills I learned working in the library.
There is still that stereotype out there of the old lady sitting behind
the counter yelling at kids. Generally people do not know the
possibilities in library science. for example, I took my wife to a couple
of the student SLA meetings at Kent State to expose her to more of my
interests. She left the meeting with a new respect for information
professionals and my goals. She did not realize all the companies that had
libraries: chemical manufactures, hospitals, newspapers, law offices, etc.
She did not realize all the various backgrounds librarians had.

I think two directions need to be taken to increase the amount of interest
in the sciences. First, educate the current science students to the
opportunities in the science information. Second, adapt non-science
librarians into the positions as needed. Yes, I believe it is harder to
convert a non-science librarian to the sciences, instead of a scientist to
a librarian. But, I have met a lot of successful librarians in the
sciences, who did not have science backgrounds but learned it on the fly.

Brian Gray
Univ. of Akron S&T Library/Advanced Elastomer Systems
Kent State SLIS student

Buffy Choinski <ulemc at OLEMISS.EDU>
Sent by: CHEMICAL INFORMATION SOURCES DISCUSSION LIST
<CHMINF-L at indiana.edu>
12/04/2002 09:01 AM
Please respond to CHEMICAL INFORMATION SOURCES DISCUSSION LIST