[Sigsti-l] Toward tool support for tracking data citations

Heather Piwowar hpiwowar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 14:18:19 EST 2010

 Hi SIG STI and SIG MET,

Since data citations are near and dear to our hearts, I wanted to spread the
word about a just-launched open document: A Community
Hub<https://docs2.google.com/document/d/1mHYlu3IU3q6RaJfkxyNZQcykYMB-iak4N2Gd3fNgd2Q/edit?hl=en#>
 for* improving tool support for tracking citations to datasets and other
nontraditional products*.

As you may know, it is not currently
possible<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/tracking-dataset-citations-using-common-citation-tracking-tools-doesnt-work/>
track citations to datasets through Scopus and ISI Web of Science.   The
purpose of this hub is to provide:

   - a central meeting ground for the many individuals and organizations
   interested in this issue
   - a living document that captures current unmet needs
   - an area to inventory and develop initiatives to encourage vendors to
   address these issues as soon as possible

ASIS&T SIG/STI and SIG/METRICS members are uniquely positioned to provide
insight and direction, with expertise in preservation, scientific data and
bibliometrics.  Individual and collective feedback would be most valuable.

Please check it
out<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mHYlu3IU3q6RaJfkxyNZQcykYMB-iak4N2Gd3fNgd2Q/edit?hl=en>,
add what you know, and send the link around to others you know who care
about this issue so that we can achieve data citation tracking through
Scopus and Web of Science ASAP.

Sincerely,
Heather

--
Heather Piwowar

DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad
  remote from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada
hpiwowar at nescent.org
http://researchremix.org
@researchremix