[Sigsti-l] catalogging for scientific data

Cyndy Chandler cchandler at whoi.edu
Fri Oct 12 08:43:06 EDT 2007

Hi Joe,

The idea of implementing a FRBR-like system in the scientific research
community is intriguing.

are you aware of the Marine Metadata Interoperability Project?
http://marinemetadata.org/

and in particular the Sensor Metadata Interoperability (SMI) project
http://marinemetadata.org/examples/mmihostedwork/smi/

While this community is obviously oriented toward ocean science/marine
research, the online discussions and sponsored workshops may be of
interest to you.

SMI participants are working on many of the topics you have mentioned --
data provenance, granularity, cataloging standards, ontologies,
controlled vocabularies and more.

best wishes,
cyndy