[Sigsti-l] Ways the LIS community can help the scientific community?

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 7 11:03:16 EDT 2007

I've been asked to give a talk next week at the Virtual Observatories in
Geosciences workshop on things that the scientific community could learn
from the LIS community and areas for cooperation.

I thought I'd ask if I was missing any major points that people think are
important, particularly if they were had any research or projects where
they'd like more input from the scientific community.  (or, if you want to
study the scientific community ... I know a few people have mentioned that
in the past).

Anuyway, here's the list of things I was thinking about mentioning:

(oh -- and to translate the terminology -- Virtual Observatories are
federated search systems for scientific data)

--

Opportunities for collaboration:
	Data identifiers / linking / citations from journals

Protocols
	(discuss architectural aspects / benefits of the protols, and
	the suitability in searching non-bibligraphic records)

	OAI-PMH
	SRU / SRW / CQL
	MXG

I'll probably also mention areas where the LIS has more expertise
(cataloging, ontologies, archiving, user interfaces, etc.), mention some
of the research that was presented at the 2006 ASIS&T meeting that'd be of
interest to the group, and if I have to pad out time, present FRBR and
explain how we need something similar so that we can more easily compare
scientific catalogs.

--

So, if you'd like me to plug your work, or suggest the science informatics
community look at certain things, please let me know.

-----
Joe Hourcle