[Sigsti-l] metadata terminology question

Cyndy Chandler cchandler at whoi.edu
Mon Dec 3 08:32:12 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help defining some metadata terminology.  If you
can think of a more appropriate list for this sort of posting, please
respond with that sort of information as well.

This question (below and my response below that) was posted recently on
another mailing list of which I'm a member (one that supports the Marine
Metadata Initiative; http://www.marinemetadata.org/).  Do any of you
have any suggestions for published definitions of these terms?  Feel
free to share this question with anyone you think might help us out with
this.

thanks in advance for answers and guidance,
cheers, cyndy

the original posting at MMI:

John Graybeal wrote:
 > Can anyone can point to a reasonably authoritative (e.g., published)
answer to the question (3) below, or provide their own answer (and
justification) that they are convinced is right. (Any arguments about my
declarations (1) and (2) are not so eagerly welcomed, but probably
necessary also. :->)

 > (1) A content standard is a specification that describes how to
document the content of a digital entity (data file, publication, whatever).

 > (2) An instance or example of a content standard is FGDC CSDGM.
 >
 > (3) What is the document that follows the content standard (that is,
that someone creates by following the content standard) called?

 > I think people have called it an instance, but I claim that is wrong
(see (2)). I have a few candidate terms in mind, but I wanted to know if
there is a term of reference that any existing community uses.  (For an
analogous example, what do the designers of user interface forms call
the product that results when someone fills out the form?  In some
contexts, I think it is called a 'record'.  Other opinions?)

 > John

and my response to John's email posting ...
I'm checking in  library science literature for formal definitions of
these terms ... I'm not having much luck so far.

in the meantime, here are my thoughts ...

your thinking on #1 and #2 seems reasonable to me.

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february06/jerez/02jerez.html
implies that "the document that follows the content standard" is called
a metadata instance, and I imagine one would refer to it as, a metadata
instance that is FGDC CSDGM compliant.  the excerpt below is from that
D-Lib paper -

" ... submit metadata instances about content objects that they author
or acquire. The submission of a metadata instance constitutes the
registration of the content object being described by the metadata.
Multiple metadata instances may be submitted by multiple parties for the
same uniquely identified content object. These metadata instances are
expressed as LOM [6] (Learning Object Metadata) encoded as XML and are
submitted manually or automatically to the registry, which relates them
to other metadata instances for the same content object through the
identifier for that content object."

not a definition, but an example of how its used.

so one could have:
content standards
instances of content standards (e.g. FGDC CSDGM)
and metadata instances that are or are not compliant with various standards

- cyndy

Cyndy Chandler	        | voice: (508) 289-2765
MS #43, WHOI	        | Office hrs: M-F ~ 7-6
Woods Hole, MA  02543	| FAX: (508) 457-2161
cchandler at whoi.edu | http://www.whoi.edu/more.go?username=cchandler
P2P VoIP:  Gizmo: cchandler  AIM: cynDC42
Biological and Chemical Oceanography Data Management Office
Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution