[Sigsti-l] Ontologies in the Space & Earth Sciences

Jian Qin Jqin at syr.edu
Tue May 30 18:00:15 EDT 2006

Hi, Joe,

Thank you for sharing the workshop information! It is indeed a topic
that has been under our SIG's radar. I myself am very interested in this
topic.

For your information, the panel Access to Scientific data: The Social
and Technical Challenges and Strategies has been accepted for this
year's annual meeting. One of the speakers (Timothy Esatman) is from
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. I am glad that you brought this up and
we are making the connection with the scientist community.

Jian

>>> Joe Hourcle <oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov> 5/30/2006 12:03 PM >>>

I appologize if this is off topic -- I'm new to the list, and there's
not
enough past traffic for me to tell exactly what are acceptable topics.

I was at a workshop last week for 'Ontologies for the Space and Earth
Sciences', and realized that I was the only person with a library
background at the meeting -- it was mostly scientists, and a few folks
advising on ontologies from an Artificial Intelligence direction:

	http://sras.jhuapl.edu/workshop.html

It was indirectly attached to the AGU meeting's 'Earth and Space
Sciences
Informatics' section:

	http://www.agu.org/meetings/sm06/?content=search&show=session&section=28&cosection=0&title=1&desc=1&searchBy=sponsor

As the members of the workshop didn't seem to be aware of the existance
of
ASIS&T, I thought I would try to reach out to this community, and see
if
anyone might be working on similar things, or would be interested in
working on ontologies of this nature.

I noticed that there was a session on Science Ontologies at ASIS&T
2005
meeting, so I'm hoping this is the right place to ask.  If it isn't,
and
you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

-----
Joe Hourcle