[Sigsti-l] STI activities in Charlotte - please plan to come!

Flanagan, Patricia A patf at WPI.EDU
Tue Oct 11 15:00:47 EDT 2005

Good Afternoon,

Here are some SIG STI updates for ASIS&T Annual in Charlotte.  Looking
forward to seeing many of you there!  Please plan to join us for the
following:

-SIG STI business meeting at Annual:   Monday, Oct. 31st, 11-12am
	We need officers!  Incoming Chair will be Jian Qin from Syracuse
University.  Jian will need a Chair-Elect to follow her next year.  We also
need a new Secretary/Treasurer to replace Jon Jablonski.  Please consider
participating in the SIG.  This is a great and active group.
	We will also need ideas for technical sessions to begin developing
for the 2006 Annual conference.  Bring your ideas to the meeting!

-Dutch Treat Dinner:  also Monday the 31st.  We will be eating at the Mimosa
Grill (www.mimosagrill.com) at 7pm.  This allows a bit of time for those who
want to attend part of the Alumni Reception first.  I will add this to the
blog, but there will also be a sign-up sheet on site in Charlotte.

-Welcome Reception and SIG RUSH - this is scheduled for Sunday evening, Oct.
30th.  Ann Eagan and I will be at the table, but other volunteers are sought
and welcome.  Please let me know if you can join us - the more we can
communicate with others about SIG activities, the more interest we can raise.

-STI has three technical sessions on the Annual program (though a number of
programs on the early conference announcement were missing their SIG sponsor
names, so check the web site!).  They are:

		Surveys of Scientists and Engineers: Ensuring Reliable
Research Evidence for Good Practice, Monday, 1:30pm  (SIGs STI, USE)
moderated by KT Vaughn, reactor, Jon Jablonski
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM05/abstracts/145.html

		Managing and Disseminating Scientific Data,  Tuesday 1:30pm
organised and moderated by Jian Qin
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM05/abstracts/138.html

		Organizing the Concepts of Science: Science Ontologies and
the Semantic Web, Tuesday, 5pm  organized and moderated by Gail Hodge
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM05/abstracts/125.html

Pat Flanagan, Chair SIG-STI
Director of User Services, Assistant Library Director
Gordon Library
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA  01609