[Sigsti-l] Trisociety Symposium planning group members needed!

KT Vaughan ktlv at email.unc.edu
Wed Jun 1 16:14:18 EDT 2005

Hi SIG STI friends -

As promised lo these many months ago at the annual meeting, I am writing
to solicit your help with planning for the 2006 Trisociety Symposium on
Chemical Information.  This Symposium (which I believe will be the 8th)
happens every four years and is organized by ASIS&T SIG STI, SLA
Chemistry Division, and the ACS Chemical Information Section.  In 2002
it was hosted by SLA - and this time 'round it's our turn!

I need a group of people - number is flexible but should be at least 6 -
to form a planning group for the Symposium.  I need at least one person
who has contacts at the ACS so that we can coordinate with them (and
have some planning members from there).  Ann Eagan, SIG STI Past Chair,
is graciously acting as the liaison to the SLA and is working to get
members from there.

Here are the duties as I see them for the immediate future (before AM05):

- Form the committee, with representation from all three societies
- Get the contract signed by all three societies
- Create a web presence, to include a website and a discussion forum
(blog?) and/or wiki to organize our documents
- Decide on a theme
- Write a call for papers
- Negotiate with the AM06 conference committee space/time for the Symposium
- Promote the call for papers

Then, after AM05:

- Promote the call for papers
- Evaluate etc. submissions
- Form the program of papers
- Get a keynote speaker and/or moderator
- Secure sponsor(s) for the symposium and (if possible) lunch or a reception

And, of course, there will be some duties associated with actually
running the symposium at the conference, but luckily much of that should
be handled by the hotel etc.

If this sounds interesting to you (and there were several people who
expressed some interest), please let me know off-list.  Many thanks, and
happy summer!

KT

KTL Vaughan
Librarian for Bioinformatics & Pharmacy