[Sigsti-l] thank you, SIG STI - we are the best!

K. T. Vaughan kt_vaughan at ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 25 16:48:56 EST 2002

Hi fellow SIG/STI people!

People keep asking me what winning SIG of the Year gets us, and I
respond "bragging rights."  You'll see from the message below (that I
just sent to the chminf-l list) that I am taking full advantage of those
rights.

As I mention below, I think we should feel particularly proud of
ourselves for winning this award.  This SIG worked very hard this year.
We participated in the Trisociety Symposium, upped our membership and
activity on the listserv, and doubled our panel sessions at the
just-concluded annual meeting.  What's more, we submitted seven panels,
and had six accepted.  That's a great win percentage!

Of course, the issue now is keeping our momentum going.  The dozen or so
of us at the planning meeting hatched some great plans for next year,
and other ideas are in the works for events or publications for the
spring or fall.  If you have a great idea, please let us know!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank the current officers
(you know who they are) as well as some people who have kept this SIG
going over the years.  In particular, Judy Watson, Julie Hurd, Margaret
Branchofsky, and Janet Arth have volunteered to lead us wherever we
would go.  I'm sure there are other role models you may have that I
haven't listed.  Clearly it wasn't just our work this year that won us
this award, but the cumulative effect of excellence over the years.  Go
team!

This is my last official post - I'm now "past chair" - but I just
couldn't hold back from letting everyone hear how proud I am.  Julie and
Judy will attest to my excitement at the awards banquet - I think I
hugged Julie 10 times!

Yours,

KT
ASIST SIG STI _Past_ Chair

------------------------
Viva la science librarians!

I am happy to report to our colleagues in the SLA Chemistry Division and
the ACS Division of Chemical Information that the American Society for
Information Science and Technology has awarded the 2002 Special Interest
Group of the Year award to the SIG for Scientific and Technical
Information Systems.  This award is a long time coming, and well earned
- in large part because of our long-running partnership with the SLA and
ACS to produce the Trisociety Symposium (hosted this year by SLA, and in
2006 by ASIST).

We science and engineering librarians have always considered ourselves
"special" in one way or another, so I think it is a great affirmation of
our importance to the larger world of information and library science
for SIG/STI to have won this award.  Good luck to the rest of you, as
well!

If you are interested in seeing abstracts from our recent panels at the
ASIST annual meeting (held last week in Philadelphia), please go to
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM02/schedule.html.  Included in our
offerings were panels on models for both published and unpublished
research, several different looks at virtual reference, a panel on
e-books, and one on the National STEM Digital Library.

Thanks to everyone who makes us shine - we couldn't do it without you!

KT Vaughan
2001/02 ASIST SIG/STI Chair