[Sigsti-l] Trisociety Symposium a success!

Julie Arnold jh276 at umail.umd.edu
Mon Jun 17 13:51:03 EDT 2002

I did not attend due to a lack of funds. I was not even able to travel
to ALA this year to present a paper that I co-wrote.

Due to budget cuts I am limited to $1000/year, which is spent on
the ASIS&T conference.

-Julie

On 17 Jun 2002, at 13:23, K.T. Vaughan wrote:

> Hi all  -
>
> This serves as a report from the Trisociety Symposium in Los Angeles
> last week.  The Symposium is a sponsored by the chemical information
> bodies in SLA, ACS, and ASIST (that would be SIG/STI). This year it
> was hosted at the SLA conference.  There were between 75 and 100
> people attending each of the ten talks.  I think we could have
> attracted more people had the individual talks been listed in the
> conference schedule, rather than the symposium as a whole.   However,
> my real concern is that ONLY TWO were from ASIST (according to a
> "raise your hands" survey taken in the afternoon)!  Ack!
>
> One interesting point made during the course of the day was the
> difference in attitude between academic libraries and commercial
> database providers (including CAS, Thieme, and MDL Information
> Systems) when it comes to the current state of libraries and the
> online world.  David Stern, Tina Chrzastowski, Emily Poworoznek, Ben
> Wagner, and I discussed the effects and outcomes of the push to online
> services - and then the vendors talked about what some of those
> services could be (and, in some cases, are).
>
> Selected papers from the symposium will be appearing in a forthcoming
> issue of JASIST.
>
> The next Trisociety Symposium is planned for the fall of 2006.  It
> will be "our turn" to host the symposium.  Please send me comments and
> questions if you have any - in particular I am interested in why
> people did not go to the one this year (lack of interest?  too far to
> travel?  outside our scope? conflict with other conferences/events?).
> We make a financial commitment in addition to our time and effort to
> make this symposium happen, and if it is not beneficial to our members
> we should know that before we sink more resources into planning the
> 2006 event.
>
> - KT
>
> ASIST SIG/STI Chair
>

> --
> K.T. L. Vaughan
>
> NCSU Libraries Fellow
> Scholarly Communication Center and
> Collection Management Department
>
> Campus Box 7111, Raleigh, NC 27695-7111
> Room 4218, North Stacks, D.H. Hill Library
> (919) 513-0377 (phone)
> (919) 513-3553 (fax)
> kt_vaughan at ncsu.edu
> --

Julie Arnold
University of Maryland Libraries
Science & Technology Services Team
Liaison to the Computer Science and Aerospace Engineering
Departments
Reference Services Coordinator
Engineering and Physical Sciences Library
College Park, MD 20742

Email: jh276 at umail.umd.edu
Voice: 301-405-9151