[Sigsti-l] Re: Fwd: Science Librarians (fwd)

brian.gray at santoprene.com brian.gray at santoprene.com
Wed Dec 4 09:54:34 EST 2002

I am also forwarding my message to the ASIST Science & Technical
Information SIG discussion list. We just had this discussion at the Annual
meeting during our planning meeting. Probably half of the people in the
room had science backgrounds, but the other half had been "thrown into the
fire." The ones without science backgrounds have successfully taken on
science related positions, and really enjoy it. The STI SIG is planning a
session at next years meeting about this topic specifically (Education of
scientist librarian, which is more important, science or librarianship?).

I do not see an answer in the future. I have an undergraduate degree in
Chemical Engineering, and worked at the Univ. of Akron S&T Library
throughout my schooling. I decided I really enjoyed the information side
of the sciences, and recently started working on my MLIS at Kent State. I
also continued my employment with the University of Akron. In my
introductory class of 50 people, I am the only one with a science
background or desire to be in the sciences. I am also involved in the
student chapter of SLA. Of the 50 or so members I have met, only one other
person had a science background and was going to continue in the sciences
after graduation.