[Sigmgt-l] Knowledge Management at ASIST Annual Conference

Durham, Mary Mary.Durham at genzyme.com
Mon Oct 6 15:49:14 EDT 2003

This is to let everyone know of the Knowledge Management sessions and events
coming up at this year's American Society for Information Science and
Technology annual conference.  I hope to see many of you there!

Tuesday, October 21 at 2:00 PM : Maturity Models and Benchmarks in Knowledge
Management.  Co-sponsored by SIG KM and SIG MGT.  This is shaping up as a
very strong session, and I'm truly looking forward to it.  We have 3
interesting topics, and they should add up to an excellent sequence of
shared knowledge --

*	Frank Bianchetti of Quest Diagnostics, speaking on "Growing Up
Together - Knowledge Modeling and Management Maturity."  This talk will
introduce the concept of maturity models and their application in Knowledge
Management.  It will examine specific KM-focused maturity models and their
relationship to organizational maturity.
*	JoAnne Sparks of Memorial Sloan-Kettering (formerly of Bristol-Myers
Squibb), speaking on "Experiences with Benchmarking and Best Practices."
JoAnne will discuss experience with using specific resources as benchmarking
tools.
*	Skip Boetter, Collaboration and Knowledge Architect, of MacroSource,
speaking on "Optimizing Benchmarking Value by Ingraining Knowledge
Discipline Elements."  Skip will discuss the value of a model, offer case
studies, and cover the ability to measure and benchmark practices.

Governance and social events --

*	Sunday, October 19 at 6:00 PM : Welcome reception and SIG rush.
Visit the SIG KM table at SIG rush and encourage others to join the KM SIG.

*	Tuesday, October 21 at 5:00 PM : SIG KM Planning Session.  This is
the planning/working meeting for our SIG, so please attend if at all
possible.

*	Tuesday, October 21 at 7:00 PM : SIG KM dutch treat dinner

*	Wednesday, October 22 at 12:30 : SIG planning meeting (all SIGs).
Incoming SIG Chair Michael Smith and I will attend this one, but please see
us beforehand with your ideas and suggestions for papers/sessions for 2004.

This looks like an excellent array of activities, and I hope that many of
you will be there to keep KM a vital topic for ASIST.  Please don't hesitate
to contact me if you have any questions.  Please feel free to redistribute
this email to others who will be interested.

Best regards,
Mary Durham
SIG KM Chair 2002-2003