[Sigmetrics] retrieve foundational patents with PCS; https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.09479

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Tue Jan 30 02:41:58 EST 2018

Data-mining the Foundational Patents of Photovoltaic Materials:
An application of Patent Citation Spectroscopy
<https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.09479>y <https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.09479>
>We apply Patent Citation Spectroscopy (PCS)--originally developed as
>Reference Publication Year Spectroscopy for studying landmarks and
>milestones in scientific literature--to patent literature classified
>into the nine Y-subclasses of the Cooperative Patent Classification
>(CPC) that describe material photovoltaic technologies. For this study
>we extended the routine with the option to use the advanced search
>queries at PatentsView. On the basis of two normalizations of the
>longitudinal distribution of the publication years of the patents cited
>by the retrieved patents, the routine (at this http URL
><http://www.leydesdorff.net/comins/pcs/index.html>) provides a best
>guess of the foundational patent for the subject specified in the
>string. In five of the nine cases, we found corroborating evidence for
>the foundational character of the patent indicated by the routine.
Jordan Comins, Loet Leydesdorff
(Submitted on 29 Jan 2018)
https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.09479

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet at leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;