[Sigmetrics] 1findr: research discovery & analytics platform

Anne-Wil Harzing anne at harzing.com
Tue Apr 24 17:11:29 EDT 2018

Dear all,

I was asked (with a _very short time-frame_) to comment on 1Findr for an
article in Nature (which I am not sure has actually appeared). I was
given temporary login details for the Advanced interface.

As "per normal" with these kind of requests only one of my comments was
actually used. So I am posting all of them here in case they are of use
to anyone (and to Eric and his team in fine-tuning the system).

================

As I had a very limited amount of time to provide my comments, I tried
out 1Findr by searching for my own name (I have about 150 publications
including journal articles, books, book chapters, software, web
publications and white papers) and some key terms in my own field
(international management).

  What I like

Simple and intuitive user interface with fast response to search
requests, much faster than with some competitor products where the
website takes can take ages to load. The flexibility of the available
search options clearly reflects the fact that this is an offering built
by people with a background in Scientometrics.

A search for my own name showed that coverage at the author level is
good, it finds more of my publications than both the Web of Science and
Scopus, but fewer than Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic. It is
approximately on par with CrossRef and Dimensions though all three
services (CR, Dimensions and Findr) have unique publications that the
other service doesn’t cover.

As far as I could assess, topic searches worked well with flexible
options to search in title, keywords and abstracts. However, I have not
tried these in detail.

Provides a very good set of subjects for filtering searches that – for
the disciplines I can evaluate – shows much better knowledge of academic
disciplines and disciplinary boundaries than is reflected in some
competitor products. I particularly like the fact that there is more
differentiation in the Applied Sciences, the Economic and Social
Sciences and Arts & Humanities than in some other databases. This was
sorely needed.

There is a quick summary of Altmetrics such as tweets, Facebook postings
and Mendeley readers. Again I like the fact that a simple presentation
is used, rather than the “bells & whistle” approach with the flashy
graphics of some other providers. This keeps the website snappy and
provides an instant overview.

There is good access to OA versions and a “1-click” download of all
available OA versions [for a maximum of 40 publications at once as this
is the upper limit of the number of records on a page]. I like the fact
that it finds OA versions from my personal website (www.harzing.com
<http://www.harzing.com>) as well as OA versions in university
repositories and gold OA versions. However, it doesn’t find all OA
versions of my papers (see dislike below).

  What I dislike

Although I like the fact that Findr doesn’t try to be anything and
everything leading to a cluttered user interface, for me the fact that
it doesn’t offer citation metrics limits its usefulness. Although I
understand its focus is on finding literature (which is fair enough)
many academics – rightly or wrongly – use citations scores to assess
which articles to prioritize articles for downloading and reading.

The fact that it doesn’t yet find all Open Access versions that Google
Scholar and Microsoft Academic do. All my publications are available in
OA on my website, but Findr does not seem to find all of them. Findr
also doesn’t seem to source OA versions from ResearchGate. Also several
OA versions resulted in a /“//404. The requested resource is not found.”/

The fact that it only seems to cover journal articles. None of my books,
book chapters, software, white papers or web publications were found.
Although a focus on peer-reviewed work is understandable I think
coverage of books and book chapters is essential and services like
Google Scholar, Microsoft Academic and CrossRef do cover books.

  Niggles

There are duplicate results for quite a few of my articles, usually
“poorer” versions (i.e. without full text/abstract/altmetric scores) it
would be good if the duplicates could be removed and only the “best”
version kept

Automatic stemming of searches is awkward if you try to search for
author names in the “general” search (as many users will do). In my case
(Harzing) it results in hundreds of articles on the Harz mountains
obscuring all of my output.

Preferred search syntax should be clearer as many users will search
authors with initials only (as this is what works best in other
databases). In Findr this provides very few results as there are “exact”
matches only, whereas in other databases initial searches are
interpreted as initial + wildcard.

More generally needs better author disambiguation. Some of my articles
can only be found when searching for a-w harzing, a very specific
rendition of my name.

When Exporting Citations the order seems to reverts to alphabetical
order of the first author, not the order that was on the screen.

Best wishes,
Anne-Wil

*Prof. Anne-Wil Harzing*
Professor of International Management
Middlesex University London, Business School

*Web:* Harzing.com <https://harzing.com> - *Twitter:* @awharzing
<https://twitter.com/awharzing> - *Google Scholar: *Citation Profile
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=v0sDYGsAAAAJ>
*New:* Latest blog post <https://harzing.com/blog/.latest?redirect> -