[Sigmetrics] 1findr: research discovery & analytics platform

David Wojick dwojick at craigellachie.us
Tue Apr 24 17:40:33 EDT 2018

I agree up to a point, Eric. Metadata (especially including an abstract) is usually sufficient for what we might call a standard search. This is one where what we are looking for is the central topic of the article.

But there are many other sorts of search, where the thing sought is relatively secondary to the article and here only full text search works. Examples might include those climate change articles that rely on a specific model, or nuclear physics that uses the Monte Carlo method. A great many questions of this form can arise, in research and in science metrics.

Then too there is the powerful "more like this" (MLT) function which requires full text. This finds closely related research that does not use the same language. An example is author disambiguation versus name identity. Google Scholar's version of MLT is very useful.

In fact I developed an algorithm for DOE OSTI that uses "more like this" technology to find all and only those articles closely related to a given topic, ranked by closeness. When you get full text will be happy to show it to you.

But the fact that your system does not do everything now is not a criticism, merely a direction for possible progress.

Best of luck,

David