[Sigmetrics] Topic modelling in arts and humanities research

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Sun Nov 26 01:51:29 EST 2017

Dear Jonathan,

I read the report with interest. We previously had some validity issues
with topic modeling (Leydesdorff & Nerghes, 2017), which we discussed
before. Have these issues been solved by moving from LDA to Non-negative
Matrix Factorization as a method?

You claim (p. 15) that the results are "meaningful," but elsewhere you
formulate more cauteously that "topic modeling is a promising approach
that can capture trends in research production."
"Can" or "may"?

Are the data (and perhaps some results) available online? Tobias Hecking
(Duisburg) and I are trying to upscale the previous study and would love
to use them as an example.

Best,
Loet

Reference:
Leydesdorff, L., & Nerghes, A. (2017). Co-word maps and topic modeling:
A comparison using small and medium-sized corpora (N < 1,000).
[Article]. Journal of the Association for Information Science and
Technology, 68(4), 1024-1035. doi: 10.1002/asi.23740

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet at leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;