[Sigmetrics] "Use of the journal impact factor for assessing individual articles need not be wrong" by Ludo Waltman and Vincent Traag

David Wojick dwojick at craigellachie.us
Fri Mar 10 12:49:30 EST 2017

I have a rather different conjecture as to why the IF is a useful proxy for
article quality. It has to do with the tiered structure of the system of
journals. Journals with high IFs tend to attract many submissions and
therefore have high rejection rates. Thus there is extensive article level
evaluation. Only those articles judged to be of the highest quality get
published. It follows that getting published in a high IF journal is
indicative of relatively high quality for the article.

Opponents of IF argue that articles should be individually evaluated at the
institutional level, but the high IF journal is better positioned to do
this, because it has a large sample from many authors.

David

David Wojick, Ph.D.
http://insidepublicaccess.com/