[Sigmetrics] “European Paradox or Delusion-Are European Science and Economy Outdated?

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Thu Jun 8 00:15:57 EDT 2017

Dear Fran,

Thank you for the paper. It is interesting, but raises the following
question.

Given the economic integration within the EU, one can meaningfully speak
about a "European economy." However, a European science or publication
system cannot be inferred. (For example: Is the European Union Becoming a
Single Publication System? <http://www.leydesdorff.net/eupubl/index.htm>
*Scientometrics* 47(2) (2000) 265-280.) Of course, one can study the
European set as if it were a system, but policy implications can then
easily be mistaken.Some nations are doing better than the USA, but in
specific domains. (As you indicate for China.)

Do I misread?

Best,
Loet

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Francis Narin <narinf at cox.net> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Alonso Rodriguez-Navarro and I have just published a paper with, we feel,
> significant EU Science Policy implications. Copies are available from
> either of us. The paper is
>

>   “European Paradox or Delusion-Are European Science and Economy
> Outdated? Alonso Rodriguez-Navarro and Francis Narin, *Science and Public
> Policy*, 2016, pp 1-10."
>

> Francis Narin
>
> Narinf at cox.net
>

> Alonso Rodriguez-Navarro
>
> alonso.rodriguez at upm.es

Professor Emeritus, University of Amsterdam
loet at leydesdorff.net;  http://www.leydesdorff.net/