[Sigmetrics] The One-Percent Club For Top-Cited Papers

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Mon Jul 31 13:59:51 EDT 2017

Dear Philip:

There is no a priori reason to focus on the top-1%, top-10%, or any
other percentile class. One can use the quantile values (Q) of all
papers (xi) in a journal and then integrate using Σixi * Q(xi). A paper
in the top-1% group then has a value of 99+ and a median paper will
count as 50. See my paper: “Alternatives to the journal impact factor:
I3 and the top-10% (or top-25%?) of the most-highly cited papers.”
Scientometrics, 92(2), 355-365. We elaborated this for journals in:
Leydesdorff, L., & Bornmann, L. (2012). “Percentile Ranks and the
Integrated Impact Indicator (I3).” Journal of the American Society for
Information Science and Technology, 63(9), 1901-1902.

Best,

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet at leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;