[Sigmetrics] Eugene Garfield passed away on February 26, 2017

gopal at annauniv.edu gopal at annauniv.edu
Mon Feb 27 22:23:11 EST 2017

I am sorry to note the passing away of Eugene Garfield on Sunday, February
26, 2017.

Attached please find the first mail exchange I had with Eugene Garfield
way back in 2000.

I can find out if any documentation on the event honoring Eugene Garfield
is now available with the M S Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai.

I am on the SIGMETRICS mailing list and used to find some of his posts
very useful.

Eugene Garfield has named only the following three reference motivators as
negative factors.

Criticizing previous work
Disclaiming work or ideas of others (negative claims)
Disputing priority claims of others (negative homage)

He was a visionary and pioneer in the field.

"It is not God that is worshipped but the group or authority that claims
to speak in His name. Sin becomes disobedience to authority not violation
of integrity."
               - Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, Formerly President of India

Warmest Regards

Gopal T V
0 9840121302
https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/57545
Dr. T V Gopal
Professor
College of Engineering
Anna University
Chennai - 600 025, INDIA
Ph : (Off) 22351723 Extn. 3340
      (Res) 24454753
Home Page : http://www.annauniv.edu/staff/gopal

> Cassidy,
>
> I am so very sorry to hear this.
>
> Younger (and older) listserv members might like to review and celebrate
his life and major achievements, see also

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abNZ66ZLbjU
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kZ0_5HTYDQ
>
> He will be very much missed,

> On 2/27/2017 11:13 AM, Cassidy R. Sugimoto wrote:
>> Dear members of the metrics community:
>> It is with great regret that I inform you that Eugene Garfield passed
away on February 26, 2017.
>> A memorial and other means of honoring Gene’s legacy are forthcoming.
Best,
>> Cassidy R. Sugimoto
>> President, International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics --
>> Cassidy R. Sugimoto, PhD
>> Associate Professor
>> School of Informatics and Computing
>> Indiana University Bloomington
>> http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~sugimoto
>> <http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/%7Esugimoto>
>
> --
> Katy Borner * @katycns
> Victor H. Yngve Distinguished Professor of Engineering & Information
Science
> Director, CI for Network Science Center, http://cns.iu.edu
> Curator, Mapping Science exhibit, http://scimaps.org
>
> ISE & ILS, School of Informatics and Computing, Indiana University Wells
Library 021, 1320 E. Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA Phone:
(812) 855-3256  Fax: -6166