[Sigmetrics] Mapping Patent Classifications and the Comparison of Strengths and Weaknesses

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Mon Feb 27 06:26:18 EST 2017

Mapping Patent Classifications: Portfolio and Statistical Analysis,
<https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.07481>
and the Comparison of Strengths and Weaknesses

Loet Leydesdorff, Dieter Franz Kogler, and Bowen Yan

The Cooperative Patent Classifications (CPC) jointly developed by the
European and US Patent Offices provide a new basis for mapping and portfolio
analysis. This update provides an occasion for rethinking the parameter
choices. The new maps are significantly different from previous ones,
although this may not always be obvious on visual inspection. Since these
maps are statistical constructs based on index terms, their quality--as
different from utility--can only be controlled discursively. We provide
nested maps online and a routine for portfolio overlays and further
statistical analysis. We add a new tool for "difference maps" which is
illustrated by comparing the portfolios of patents granted to Novartis and
MSD in 2016.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.07481#

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;