[Sigmetrics] Leiden Manifesto, Universities and THE Ranking

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at cchs.csic.es
Wed Sep 28 09:37:24 EDT 2016

The aim of the Leiden Manifesto for Research Metrics
(http://www.leidenmanifesto.org/) was to improve the use of
bibliometrics for evaluation purposes. It has been commented in several
of our conferences and cited extensively outside our community. A "good"
example of the bad practices denounced by the Manifesto is probably the
THE ranking last edition. Please, read carefully this interesting blog
entry:

http://rankingwatch.blogspot.com.es/2016/09/the-world-university-rankings-arguably.html

Curiously several of the institutions to which the Manifesto authors are
affiliated (an many more from the rest of our community) place in
prominent webpages, brochures and even merchandising their ranks
according to the THE flawed metrics exercise, ignoring the clever
advices expressed in the Manifesto.

Isidro F. Aguillo
Dr. Honoris Causa Universitas Indonesia
Dr. Honoris Causa National Research Nuclear University Moscow
Editor Rankings Web
Cybermetrics Lab - Scimago Group, IPP-CSIC
Madrid. SPAIN

isidro.aguillo at csic.es
ORCID 0000-0001-8927-4873
ResearcherID: A-7280-2008