[Sigmetrics] [Fwd: RFC: Science as a Process of Numbers becoming Metrics]

gopal at annauniv.edu gopal at annauniv.edu
Thu Nov 3 11:48:17 EDT 2016

Dear All,

This is further to my earlier mail in the trace.

You may want to consider reading a three - page view point:

Jonathan Grudin, "Technology and Academic Lives", Communications of the
ACM, Vol. 59, No. 11, November 2016.

hosted at:

http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2016/11/209120-technology-and-academic-lives/fulltext

Some thoughts:

This way information is swamping the academic world could not have been
imagined a decade ago. Internet searches, web activities, social media,
clickstream and mobile geo-spatial applications are "adding context" to
data from disparate sources making all past generation data banks look
small and narrow by comparison.

Data truly related to Research & Development barely makes it to the Top 10
data collections. Customer Satisfaction has been at the undisputed Numero
Uno position.

Your thoughts...

Sincerely,

Gopal T V
0 9840121302

PS: In a lighter vein, are we factoring the sum total of zeros !!
Dr. T V Gopal
Professor
College of Engineering
Anna University