[Sigmetrics] Journal Scholar Metrics: Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences journals in Google Scholar Metrics (2010-2014)

Emilio Delgado López-Cózar edelgado at ugr.es
Tue May 3 13:27:59 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues, we are pleased to announce the launch of Journal
Scholar Metrics, a bibliometric tool where you’ll find Arts, Humanities,
and Social Sciences journals ranked by citation-based indicators, based
on data from Google Scholar Metrics (GSM).

9,196 journals from 82 countries were identified. Nevertheless, we may
have missed some A&H/SSCI journals due to the strict search limitations
in GSM. We’ll be grateful if you bring to our attention the existence of
any of these journals, or any other kind of error that you come across.

Journals are grouped into 22 subject categories. In each subject
categorie journals are sorted by their h5-index. At the moment we have
excluded journals written in any alphabet other than Latin (Arabic,
Hebrew, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean, Hindi, Japanese…). It’s also worth
remembering that currently, GSM only displays journals that have
published at least 100 articles between 2010 and 2014, and have received
at least one citation for those articles.

The main innovations of this product are:

-	It’s the first time that all A&H and SSCI journals in GSM are
identified.
-	It’s the first time the impact of journals according to Google
Scholar is assessed excluding journal self-references (citations to a
journal from that same journal)
-	Two new indicators are presented: sum of citations of articles that
contribute to the h5-index (including and excluding self-references), as
well as the percentage of citations that are self-references. The
h5-index including and excluding self-references is also displayed.
-	We use a new classification system: journals are classified as core
or related on a given subject categorie depending on the level to which
they are linked to said subject categorie. To do this, we use the
classification systems in other multidisciplinary and specialized
bibliographic databases and journal directories.
-	Results can be displayed by category, or by country of publication.

You may find more information on the website:

http://www.journal-scholar-metrics.infoec3.es

The goal of this tool is to overcome the limitations of Google Scholar
Metrics. In GSM, only top journals written in English are classified
into subject categories (top 100 according to their h5-index), and only
20 journals are shown in each subcategory. Journals written in languages
other than English (Chinese, Portuguese, German, Spanish, French,
Korean, Japanese, Dutch, and Italian) aren’t classified in any subject
category, and only the top 100 according to their h5-index are displayed
in the language rankings. Therefore, the immense majority of journals in
GSM (hidden behind a search feature that will only display 20 journals
for any given query) isn’t classified in any subject category, nor is
grouped by country or language of publication.

I hope you find this information interesting.

Kind regards,

Emilio Delgado López-Cózar
Facultad de Comunicación y Documentación
Universidad de Granada
http://googlescholardigest.blogspot.com.es
http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=es&user=kyTHOh0AAAAJ
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Emilio_Delgado_Lopez-Cozar

Dubitando ad veritatem pervenimus (Cicerón, De officiis. A. 451...)
Contra data non argumenta
A fructibus eorum cognoscitis eos (San Mateo 7, 16)