[Sigmetrics] Altmetrics of “altmetrics” using Google Scholar, Twitter, Mendeley, Facebook, Google-plus, CiteULike, Blogs and Wiki

Saeed Ul Hassan saeedulhassan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 03:01:32 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

Please find our recent work entitled:

*Altmetrics of “altmetrics” using Google Scholar, Twitter, Mendeley,
Facebook, Google-plus, CiteULike, Blogs and Wiki*
authors: Hassan, Saeed-Ul & Uzair Ahmad Gillani

*Abstract:* We measure the impact of “altmetrics” field by deploying
altmetrics indicators using the data from Google Scholar, Twitter,
Mendeley, Facebook, Googleplus, CiteULike, Blogs and Wiki during 2010-
2014. To capture the social impact of scientific publications, we propose
an index called alt-index, analogues to h-index. Across the deployed
indices, our results have shown high correlation among the indicators that
capture social impact. While we observe medium Pearson’s correlation (ρ=
.247) among the alt-index and h-index, a relatively high correlation is
observed between social citations and scholarly citations (ρ= .646).
Interestingly, we find high turnover of social citations in the field
compared with the traditional scholarly citations, i.e. social citations
are 42.2% more than traditional citations. The social mediums such as
Twitter and Mendeley appear to be the most effective channels of social
impact followed by Facebook and Google-plus. Overall, altmetrics appears to
be working well in the field of “altmetrics”.

*Full Text URL: *http://arxiv.org/pdf/1603.07992.pdf

Best Regards,

Dr. Saeed Ul Hassan (Ph.D.)
Director ITU Scientometrics Lab
HEC Approved Supervisor | Assistant Professor
Information Technology University - Punjab
6th Floor, Arfa Software Technology Park,346-B, Ferozepur Road, Lahore
Phone: +92-42-35880062 ext: 6023 | Cell: +92-322-2289756