[Sigmetrics] Russian language journals now in Google Scholar Metrics: A Google Scholar & CyberLeninka cooperation

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at cchs.csic.es
Tue Jul 26 09:51:08 EDT 2016

Google Scholar Metrics provide an easy way for authors to quickly gauge
the visibility and influence of recent articles in scholarly
publications. Building on Google Scholar’s comprehensive index, Scholar
Metrics has the widest coverage of journals & conferences worldwide.
Starting with the 2016 release, Scholar Metrics now includes Russian
language journals.

Inclusion of Russian language journals in Scholar Metrics is made
possible by a cooperation between Google Scholar and CyberLeninka.
CyberLeninka is currently the largest hosting site for Russian language
journals included in Scholar Metrics. All journals hosted on
CyberLeninka that meet the minimum requirements (at least 100 articles
and one citation in the last five years) are now included in Scholar
Metrics. For each journal, two measures are computed — h5-index, which
is the Hirsch index for last 5 years, and h5-median, which is the median
number of citations for articles that make up its h5-index. In addition
to these measures, Scholar Metrics also includes the top cited papers
for each journal.

Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.com/) provides a simple way to
broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search
across many disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts
and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies,
online repositories, universities and other web sites. Google Scholar
helps you find relevant work across the world of scholarly research. It
is by far the most comprehensive and the most widely used scholarly
search service.

CyberLeninka (http://cyberleninka.ru/) — open access Scientific
Electronic Library, the largest legal research and educational resource
of the Russian Internet (according to LiveInternet and Rambler TOP100).
For the time being the project has concluded license agreements with
more than 1,000 scientific journals. CyberLeninka works with 14
universities from 5-100 Project and more than a half of the top hundred
universities (according to Interfax rating). The project is one of ten
global repositories of scientific publications, the world’s third by
visibility in Google Scholar (according to Webometrics data). During
2015, CyberLeninka was visited by 22 million people who watched about 60
million scientific articles from nearly 1,000 scientific journals,
including those that are published by leading universities of the
federal project 5-100 (MSU. Lomonosov, St. Petersburg State University,
HSE. Higher School of Economics and others.). CyberLeninka is officially
recognized by the Russian media community (Award «Silver Archer») and
the Russian Internet community (Runet Prize).

«We are pleased to include Russian language journals in Scholar
Metrics», said Anurag Acharya, co-creator of Google Scholar.
«CyberLeninka has helped make it possible for researchers everywhere to
read Russian journals. We are happy to work with CyberLeninka to help
maximize the visibility of Russian research.»

«Google Scholar’s undoubted value lies in giving anyone in the world
free simple search tool for scientific publications located in open
access or available only in libraries or by subscription. Thus, the
Google Scholar Metrics formed on the largest base of scientific
information in the world (in the number of publications, citations and
types of indexed documents). I am glad that for the first time this
year, a Russian rating became possible, and we’ve taken our part in it.
In my opinion, this is a good example of how we can use open access
solutions for scientific evaluation tasks.», said Dmitry Semyachkin,
founder of CyberLeninka.

Isidro F. Aguillo
Dr. Honoris Causa Universitas Indonesia
Dr. Honoris Causa National Research Nuclear University Moscow
Editor Rankings Web
Cybermetrics Lab - Scimago Group, IPP-CSIC
Madrid. SPAIN

isidro.aguillo at csic.es
ORCID 0000-0001-8927-4873
ResearcherID: A-7280-2008