[Sigmetrics] Cited References and Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) as Two Different Knowledge Representations (preprint)

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Fri Jul 22 02:09:24 EDT 2016

Cited References and Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) as Two Different
Knowledge Representations:  <http://arxiv.org/abs/1607.06263>
Clustering and Mappings at the Paper Level

Loet Leydesdorff, Jordan A. Comins, Aaron A. Sorensen, Lutz Bornmann, and
Iina Hellsten

For the biomedical sciences, the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) make
available a rich feature which cannot currently be merged properly with
widely used citing/cited data. Here, we provide methods and routines that
make MeSH terms amenable to broader usage in the study of science
indicators: using Web-of-Science (WoS) data, one can generate the matrix of
citing versus cited documents; using PubMed/MEDLINE data, a matrix of the
citing documents versus MeSH terms can be generated analogously. The two
matrices can also be reorganized into a 2-mode matrix of MeSH terms versus
cited references. Using the abbreviated journal names in the references, one
can, for example, address the question whether MeSH terms can be used as an
alternative to WoS Subject Categories for the purpose of normalizing
citation data. We explore the applicability of the routines in the case of a
research program about the amyloid cascade hypothesis in Alzheimer's disease
(AD). One conclusion is that referenced journals provide archival
structures, whereas MeSH terms indicate mainly variation (including novelty)
at the research front. Furthermore, we explore the option of using the
citing/cited matrix for main-path analysis as a by-product of the software.

** apologies for cross-postings

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;