[Sigmetrics] RPYS i/o: A web-based tool for the historiography and visualization of citation classics, sleeping beauties, and research fronts ; preprint

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Mon Feb 8 03:53:27 EST 2016

RPYS i/o: A web-based tool for the historiography and visualization of
<http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.01950>
citation classics, sleeping beauties, and research fronts

Jordan A. Comins and Loet Leydesdorff

<software at comins.leydesdorff.net
<http://comins.leydesdorff.net/index.html> >

Reference Publication Year Spectroscopy (RPYS) and Multi-RPYS provide
algorithmic approaches to reconstructing the intellectual histories of
scientific fields. With this brief communication, we describe a technical
advancement for developing research historiographies by introducing RPYS
i/o, an online tool for performing standard RPYS and Multi-RPYS analyses
interactively (at this http URL <http://comins.leydesdorff.net/> ). The tool
enables users to explore seminal works underlying a research field and to
plot the influence of these seminal works over time. This suite of
visualizations offers the potential to analyze and visualize the myriad of
temporal dynamics of scientific influence, such as citation classics,
sleeping beauties, and the dynamics of research fronts. We demonstrate the
features of the tool by analyzing--as an example--the references in
documents published in the journal Philosophy of Science.

** apologies for cross-postings

Available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.01950

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;