New paper

Bornmann, Lutz lutz.bornmann at GV.MPG.DE
Fri Mar 13 08:22:22 EDT 2015

Bornmann, Lutz; Haunschild, Robin

Overlay maps based on Mendeley data: The use of altmetrics for readership networks. figshare.

Abstract: Visualization of scientific results using networks has become popular in scientometric research. We provide base maps for Mendeley reader count data using the publication year 2012 and Web of Science data. Example networks are shown and explained. The reader can use our base maps to visualize other results with the VOSViewer. The proposed overlay maps are able to show the impact of publications in terms of readership data. The advantage of using our base maps is that the user does not have to produce a network based on all data (e.g. from one year), but can collect the Mendeley data for a single institution (or journals, topics) and can match them with our already produced information. Generation of such large-scale networks is still a demanding task despite the available computer power and digital data availability. Therefore, it is very useful to have base maps and create the network with the overlay technique.

Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1334179

---------------------------------------

Dr. Dr. habil. Lutz Bornmann
Division for Science and Innovation Studies
Administrative Headquarters of the Max Planck Society
Hofgartenstr. 8
80539 Munich
Tel.: +49 89 2108 1265
Mobil: +49 170 9183667