​About the size of Google Scholar: playing the numbers

Enrique Orduña enorma at UPV.ES
Thu Sep 11 05:22:29 EDT 2014

Dear Stephen,

First, thank you very much for your critical and fruitful feedback, and for
these studies you recommend us, that we find extremely interesting.
​ ​
In fact,
​the work ​
expressly devoted to Google Scholar
​ is
 cataloged in our
​Google Scholar Digest Bibliography.

It is true that perhaps the word
​ ​
"contains" referred to Google Scholar is not entirely accurate. We know
that Google does not "possess" the documents, it is clear that Google is
“simply” a search engine that serves as a bridge between the documents
(wherever they are deposited, universities, repositories, journals, etc.)
and end users.

In any case, it is true that Google Scholar classifies each record using
its own metadata scheme. Therefore, it is a database of bibliographic
references, which provide access to the document (sometimes the full text,
sometimes a short abstract, sometimes nothing really).

A different question is whether it makes sense or not knowing the size
​ of this set of references​
. And
​at this point
 I disagree with you. It is not a meaningless issue.

Your vision is company-oriented. Obviously Google is a search engine, and
​it ​
wants to provide the best possible result for a given query. And what the
user also wants is to get the best result. We agree.

​Nonetheless,
 ​
as researchers devoted to bibliometrics and webmetrics, we are interested
in a better understanding of the processes
​related to
 scientific communication. And knowing the size and evolution of Google
Scholar is fundamental. Scopus and WoS represent the elite, but sometimes
we
​may ​
want to know the processes
​that
 happen outside the elite, and today this world outside the cream is
represented by Google Scholar, though of course, it does not cover
everything that exists
. And moreover, can we be sure that such cream is not identified by Google
and provided to users as well?​

Thus, of course PageRank (by the way increasingly obsolete) is important
for Google and for
​its ​
users
​ (most of us and increasing)​
, but we raised up other questions apart from the commercial use of the
product, regardless the opacity, that we denounce in our work, and Isidro
Aguillo also comments on in his latest email.

​I look forward to read your ​next working paper about this topic, and
thanks again for your good feedback.

Sincerely,

Enrique

--
<http://www.institutoidf.com/> <http://www.institutoidf.com/>

*Enrique Orduña-Malea*
Personal de investigación.
Grupo de Investigación EC3. Instituto de Diseño y Fabricación (IDF).

Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (UPV).

Camino de Vera s/n, 46022 Valencia. Edificio 1H.
Tfo. 96 3879480 (Ext. 79480)