New paper on Philosophy of Science

Bornmann, Lutz lutz.bornmann at GV.MPG.DE
Thu Oct 16 00:30:34 EDT 2014

Thank you, Gene! Lutz

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 15.10.2014 um 22:51 schrieb Eugene Garfield <eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM<mailto:eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM>>:

Dear Lutz I enjoyed reading your paper. I am sending your email to several friends who may be interested as well. Gene Garfield

________________________________
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Bornmann, Lutz
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:21 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU<mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>
Subject: [SIGMETRICS] New paper on Philosophy of Science

Philosophy of science viewed through the lense of "References Publication Years spectrosopy" (RPYS)
K. Brad Wray<http://arxiv.org/find/cs/1/au:+Wray_K/0/1/0/all/0/1>, Lutz Bornmann<http://arxiv.org/find/cs/1/au:+Bornmann_L/0/1/0/all/0/1>
(Submitted on 13 Oct 2014)
We examine the sub-field of philosophy of science using a new method developed in information science, Referenced Publication Years Spectroscopy (RPYS). RPYS allows us to identify peak years in citations in a field, which promises to help scholars identify the key contributions to a field, and revolutionary discoveries in a field. We discovered that philosophy of science, a sub-field in the humanities, differs significantly from other fields examined with this method. Books play a more important role in philosophy of science than in the sciences. Further, Einstein's famous 1905 papers created a citation peak in the philosophy of science literature. But rather than being a contribution to the philosophy of science, their importance lies in the fact that they are revolutionary contributions to physics with important implications for philosophy of science.

Available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.3461

Von meinem iPad gesendet