A new metrics-related book focused on academic search engines

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Thu Oct 9 09:36:21 EDT 2014

Isidro,
Thanks for writing this book-- Academic Search Engines: A Quantitative Outlook.  I am having LSU Libraries buy a copy of it, so you have sold at least one.  I hope that you have discussed the differences between how the Google and Microsoft search engines operate.  I understand how PageRank operates, but I do not understand how Bing operates.  All I know is that you obtain much better results with Google than with Microsoft, which seems to be quite new.  I have tested them both.

For your information, Harzing has now interfaced her PoP program with Microsoft Academic as well as Google Scholar.  Now you can really run comparative tests between Google and Microsoft.  You seem to get better results with her PoP than with the Microsoft Academic site itself.  At least her rankings are much better, although it is quite obvious from her program that Microsoft coverage is much weaker.

As a matter of curiosity, what metric did you use to measure the quantitative aspects?  You cannot use standard bibliographic classifications such as number of books, journals, journal articles, working papers, etc. etc., because I do not think that either Google or Microsoft can identify these.  The Web has no authority structure whatever.  You are not dealing with OCLC WorldCat.  It must be something like megabytes of data or something like that.

We are finishing a paper on how Google Scholar operates.  I'd like you to vet it when we have it ready.

Respectfully,

Stephen J Bensman, Ph.D.
LSU Libraries
Lousiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
USA

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Isidro F. Aguillo
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 6:27 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: [SIGMETRICS] A new metrics-related book focused on academic search engines

José Luis Ortega. Academic Search Engines: A Quantitative Outlook.
Elsevier, 2014. Chandos Information Professional Series ISBN 1780634722, 9781780634722

http://store.elsevier.com/Academic-Search-Engines/Jose-Luis-Ortega/isbn-9781843347910/

Academic Search Engines: intends to run through the current panorama of the academic search engines through a quantitative approach that analyses the reliability and consistence of these services. The objective is to describe the main characteristics of these engines, to highlight their advantages and drawbacks, and to discuss the implications of these new products in the future of scientific communication and their impact on the research measurement and evaluation. In short, Academic Search Engines presents a summary view of the new challenges that the Web set to the scientific activity through the most novel and innovative searching services available on the Web.

Key Features:
· This is the first approach to analyze search engines exclusively addressed to the research community in an integrative handbook.
· This book is not merely a description of the web functionalities of these services; it is a scientific review of the most outstanding characteristics of each platform, discussing their significance with recent investigations.
· This book introduces an original methodology based on a quantitative analysis of the covered data through the extensive use of crawlers and harvesters which allow going in depth into how these engines are working.

José Luis Ortega (CCHS-CSIC) is a web researcher in the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). He achieved a fellowship in the Cybermetrics Lab of the CSIC, where he finished his doctoral studies (2003-8). In 2005, he was employed by the Virtual Knowledge Studio of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences and Arts, and in 2008 he took up a position as information scientist in the CSIC. He now continues his collaboration with the Cybermetrics Lab in research areas such as webometrics, web usage mining, visualization of information, academic search engines and social networks for scientists.

--

************************************
Isidro F. Aguillo, HonDr.

isidro.aguillo at csic.es
ORCID 0000-0001-8927-4873
ResearcherID: A-7280-2008
Scholar Citations SaCSbeoAAAAJ
Twitter @isidroaguillo
Rankings Web webometrics.info

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.