Is bibliometrics at danger?

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at CCHS.CSIC.ES
Mon Oct 6 04:36:15 EDT 2014

During our last conferences (Vienna, Berlin, Leiden) we discussed the
problems related to the uncontrolled usage of bibliometric techniques by
people without enough knowledge of the quality standards needed for
research assessment. In fact with the spread usage of “bad”
bibliometrics the discipline is starting to be viewed as irrelevant or
seriously flawed and biased. It is important to read carefully the now
famous DORA declaration that not only discourages the usage of the
impact factor but it is also attacking the whole citation analysis as
the recommended evaluation tool.

I already mentioned during the Vienna session that from a practical
point of view the success of certain rankings of Universities that use
flawed citation data is also a source of potential danger for the
prestige of the discipline.

A few days ago the British magazine Times Higher Education (THE)
published the last edition of its very popular ranking of Universities.
Besides a reputation survey-based indicator they also collect citation
data (30% of the overall score) that during the last years have produced
very striking results. Among others, you can check in the current
edition that Federico Santa Maria Technical University, Chile has a
larger score than Harvard or Princeton, Tokyo Metropolitan University
larger than Caltech or Stanford, or Bogazici University, Turkey is
performing better than Oxford or Cambridge.

My point here is that data does not come from a THE journalist but,
surprise, directly from Thomson Reuters, as stated in their methodology
webpage: “this year, our data supplier Thomson Reuters examined more
than 50 million citations to 6 million journal articles, published over
five years. The data are drawn from the 12,000 academic journals indexed
by Thomson Reuters' Web of Science database and include all indexed
journals published between 2008 and 2012. Citations to these papers made
in the six years from 2008 to 2013 are also collected”.

You can find a very good analysis with tables in the blog of Richard
Holmes: http://rankingwatch.blogspot.com/

I know that Thomson Reuters is an independent private company, but I
wonder if our community as represented in this forum could ask for a
strong action regarding this unfortunate situation.

--

************************************
Isidro F. Aguillo, HonDr.

isidro.aguillo at csic.es
ORCID 0000-0001-8927-4873
ResearcherID: A-7280-2008
Scholar Citations SaCSbeoAAAAJ
Twitter @isidroaguillo
Rankings Web webometrics.info

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.