Fwd: The Subversive Proposal at 20

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 30 08:01:43 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Poynder <richard.poynder at btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM
Subject: [GOAL] The Subversive Proposal at 20
To: "Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)" <goal at eprints.org>

Twenty years ago, on June 27th 1994, cognitive scientist Stevan Harnad
posted a message on a mailing list, a message he headed “A Subversive
Proposal”. This called on all researchers to make copies of the papers they
published in scholarly journals freely available on the Internet.

The message sparked a protracted discussion, and eventually led to the
publication of a book called “Scholarly Journals at the Crossroads: A
Subversive Proposal for Electronic Publishing”.

Today the Subversive Proposal is viewed as one of the seminal texts of the
open access movement.

Last Friday, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Subversive Proposal,
I emailed Harnad nine questions. I have published these questions, with
Harnad’s answers attached, on my blog. In his answers Harnad proposes an
updated Subversive Proposal for 2014.

The Q&A can be read here:

http://poynder.blogspot.com.ar/2014/06/the-subversive-proposal-at-20.html

----

added by SH:

And, for paleontologists, the 1994 Subversive Proposal at 15, 10 & 5:

http://j.mp/subprop15
http://j.mp/subprop10
http://j.mp/subprop5