Peer Review Scandals

C. Gloster de_Ghloucester at NINTHFLOOR.ORG
Mon Jul 21 12:36:29 EDT 2014

On July 18th, 2014, Stephen J. Bensman sent:
|"[. . .]  There is a need for replication, [. . .]  What would you  |
|say to combining the two functions--an article could not be         |
|published unless its research can be replicated?  In other words,   |
|with the data easily accessible, editors could send the article for |
|replication before publishing.  No publication without replication."|

There is an argument for it.

If we can have "The All Results Journals: Phys" (
WWW.ARJournals.com/ojs/
) and others (for example as listed by
WWW.PsychFileDrawer.org/journal_of_negative_results.php
) and if we shall have "the Journal of Failed Experiments" (
HTTP://WWW.JFExp.com
) then why not also "Journal of Replicated Chemical Engineering" et
cetera to complement them?

|"Almost sounds like a revolutionary chant you can shout in the street|
|while rioting."                                                      |

It is not revolutionary. Refereeing was supposed to guarantee against
fraud. Refereeing failed to guarantee against fraud. Instead of
retracting this boast, gatekeepers retconned by claiming that it was
only people who did not understand refereeing who claimed retraction
for fraud proves that refereeing fails to detect fraud.

|There is more than cakes being cooked in various kitchens.  There is a|
|lot of data also being cooked.                                        |
|Stephen J. Bensman"                                                   |

This is unfortunately true.