Peer Review Scandals

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Fri Jul 18 16:20:10 EDT 2014

Dear Steve,

First of all, replication also requires collecting the data, not just
checking how it is processed. There is a great deal more to replication
than checking someone's math. Replication means repeating the research.
(You may be confusing replication with an audit, but even audits are very
laborious.) It would be a colossal waste of time and a great drain on
science if people stopped doing research in order to do replication, as you
are calling for. Repeating every piece of research prior to publication
basically cuts the amount of original research done in half. Is that what
you are proposing?

I see neither a technical nor a financial necessity for open access. It
that were true we would not need mandates, manifestos, boycotts, op-eds,
etc. It is a classic social movement. NIH is a political organization as
well as a research one. The Director is a political appointee. He has to do
something in response to the political pressure of the movement.

David