Peer Review Scandals

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Fri Jul 18 14:55:40 EDT 2014

This is a common confusion. A typical peer review takes a few hours because
it just involves reading the paper. The primary objective is to say whether
the results are important enough to publish in the reviewing journal.
Replication means repeating the research, which may take days, weeks,
months or more, depending on the project. Reading and research are very
different things, hence so are review and replication..

As for your second claim, failure to replicate does not show that the
original research is unsound. This is another common confusion. There may
be a lot of procedural subtlety in the original research, which is not
conveyed in the journal article, which is very brief. As a result the
replication attempt may fail simply because something was done differently.
This has been discussed at length at The Scholarly Kitchen. My wife
recently pointed out an amusing example from baking, which is applied
chemistry. Forty people each made an angel food cake from the same recipe
and all the resulting cakes had in common was that each had a hole in the
middle. Journal articles seldom provide even a recipe, so failure to
replicate is not telling.

David Wojick
http://insidepublicaccess.com/
http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/author/dwojick/