lutz.bornmann at GV.MPG.DE
Wed Jul 9 04:36:36 EDT 2014
Thank you for this hint, Isidro! We will change this in the paper. Lutz
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Isidro F. Aguillo
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 9:41 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] paper
Adminstrative info for SIGMETRICS (for example unsubscribe): http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html
The list analyzed by this paper is very important as it is one of the key variables used in ARWU, the Shanghai Ranking. The authors point out to problems in the "secondary affiliations" of some of these HCR, but dismiss it as according to the preprint ARWU is considering only primary affiliations. But after checking the published methodology in the ARWU website:
the following paragraph appears:
"The number of Highly Cited Researchers in 21 subject categories. These individuals are the most cited within each category. If a Highly Cited Researcher has two or more affiliations, he/she was asked to estimate his/her weights (or number of weeks) for each affiliation. More than 2/3 of those multi-affiliated Highly Cited Researchers provided such estimations and their affiliations receive the weights accordingly. For those who did not answer, their first affiliation is given a weight of 84% (average weight of the first affiliations for those who replied) and the rest affiliations share the remaining 16% equally".
On 09/07/2014 9:21, Bornmann, Lutz wrote:
Which of the world's institutions employ the most highly cited researchers? An evaluation of the data from highlycited.com
Lutz Bornmann<http://arxiv.org/find/cs/1/au:+Bornmann_L/0/1/0/all/0/1>, Johann Bauer<http://arxiv.org/find/cs/1/au:+Bauer_J/0/1/0/all/0/1>
A few weeks ago, Thomson Reuters published a list of the highly cited researchers worldwide (highlycited.com). Since the data is freely available for downloading and includes the names of the researchers' institutions, we produced a ranking of the institutions on the basis of the number of highly cited researchers per institution.
Available at: http://arxiv.org/abs/1407.2037
Dr. Dr. habil. Lutz Bornmann
Division for Science and Innovation Studies
Administrative Headquarters of the Max Planck Society
Tel.: +49 89 2108 1265
Mobil: +49 170 9183667
Email: bornmann at gv.mpg.de<mailto:bornmann at gv.mpg.de>
Isidro F. Aguillo, HonDr.
The Cybermetrics Lab, IPP-CSIC
isidro.aguillo at csic.es<mailto:isidro.aguillo at csic.es>
Scholar Citations: SaCSbeoAAAAJ
Rankings Web: webometrics.info
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus<http://www.avast.com/> está activa.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SIGMETRICS