PLOS ONE Output Falls Following Impact Factor Decline

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Fri Jul 4 11:45:32 EDT 2014

Dear Stephen, that is an interesting possibility, one of many in fact, but
possibilities for change are not evidence of the unsustainability of the
present system. In fact subscription revenues are still growing.

Regarding your specifics, (1) I do not see how cheap computer space works
selectively against subscription journals, as they can use it too. (2) Does
your repository model eliminate journals altogether? If so then you face
the loss of (a) peer review and (b) ranking by rejection, both of which are
thought to be values added by journals, among others.

But the relative merits of the many various OA models being tried out today
are not really the issue here. Every proposal has merit or it would not be
being tried out. I just see no evidence that any of them is about to
replace the subscription system. Ironically their multiplicity is probably
an obstacle in itself.

David
http://insidepublicaccess.com/