PLOS ONE Output Falls Following Impact Factor Decline

Bosman, J.M. (Jeroen) j.bosman at UU.NL
Fri Jul 4 01:14:30 EDT 2014

Dear David,

>From your first lines I deduce that you admit there is value in universal free access to scholarly publications. Glad to have convinced you there ;-)

As for the cost of scholarly communication, I never said there was no cost, just, by insisting on open access, that the burden of that cost should not lie with the reader. You are not giving insight into what 'significant cost' amounts to. I think current technology allows us to organise scholarly communication at a fraction of the cost of the traditional subscription model. I think the 20-30 percent open access papers you encounter in Google Scholar are far superior to any paywalled journal if you haven't got access to that journal (unless it is such junk that is it a waste of your time). By using the word 'usually' in your statement on social systems you leave the option open that there might be systems having a structure for not so good reasons. I think we found one! It is the subscription model. At one time it had its 'good reasons', but they have become obsolete by technological innovations. The most striking other example of systems in place for bad reasons is of course slavery, I think you would agree with me on that. I am not saying the problem of the subscription model is similar to that of slavery, because it is only peanuts in comparison, and a problem that history will show lasted much shorter. But is is striking that both involve free labour.

But let us not quarrel on Open Access on this Sigmetrics list. Let us measure and hypothesize the behaviour and needs of the (future) research community and how current systems cater for those needs. Let us discuss the future role of the journal format and the future role of the paper format. There is still so much room for improving the speed, accuracy en efficiency of scholarly communication.

Jeroen

Op 3 jul. 2014 om 23:10 heeft "David Wojick" <dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US<mailto:dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US>> het volgende geschreven:

Dear Jeroen,

The fact that it would be nice if everyone had free access to every article is not an argument for the unsustainability of subscription journals. As for optimum scholarly practice, that requires that  publication be paid for somehow. Communication has a significant cost. I assume that you are familiar with the various methods that have been proposed. It is far from clear at this point that any is superior to subscription, so subscription looks pretty good. Social systems usually have the structure they do for good reasons, not to be wished away.
David

On Jul 3, 2014, at 4:48 PM, "Bosman, J.M. (Jeroen)" <j.bosman at UU.NL<mailto:j.bosman at UU.NL>> wrote:

David,

>From daily experience I can tell that these needs are nearly unlimited. Even if a researcher wants to read the articles in which he/she is cited that probably means accessing many dozens of journals. Even if the researcher only subscribes to one journal, wanting to check references of  say 20 articles per year he reads in that journal again that may mean he needs to access dozens of different journals. So, yes even small insitutions often need very broad access, all the more so if we take into accout the needs of a few thousand students that come up with innovative ideas for papers, taking interdisciplinary approaches and just doing searches in Google Scholar and wanting to check what those papers are about. This is how science and higher education works nowadays. Every paywall is an obstacle to optimal scholarly practice.

Mailing authors is possible but a nuisance. Also researchers move around and die, so those adresses quickly become useless. It would be interesting to know how many articles worldwide that people do not have paid access to are obtained through mail requests compared to downloaded from university repositories. My guess would be 1 in 1000, but I will check using a small sample.

So no, your arguments so far do not convince me of the long term sustainability of the subscription model.

BTW it is far worse in the case of books.

Jeroen

Op 3 jul. 2014 om 21:39 heeft "David Wojick" <<mailto:dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US>dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US<mailto:dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US>> het volgende geschreven:

ml How can there be a "tiny but broad" research institution? Each researcher's field is very narrow. If there are a tiny number of researchers then their journal needs are equally tiny, not all journals. Even Harvard does not need access to all journals.

Note too that a researcher can always get a copy of any article they are interested in simply by asking the author for it. That is why the author's email address is always provided.

There is nothing unsustainable about the subscription model.

David Wojick
<http://insidepublicaccess.com/>http://insidepublicaccess.com/