PLOS ONE Output Falls Following Impact Factor Decline

Pikas, Christina K. Christina.Pikas at JHUAPL.EDU
Thu Jul 3 10:49:02 EDT 2014

$1350, per: http://www.plos.org/publications/publication-fees/

Plus there are new mega journals from Sage, IEEE, Nature, and other publishers that compete with PlosOne.

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu] On Behalf Of Stephen J Bensman
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:57 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] PLOS ONE Output Falls Following Impact Factor Decline

I understand that it costs $3500 to have an article published in PLOS ONE.  Times have been tough economically in the world, and this may have something to do with the drop in submissions and publication.  You can post on arXiv for nothing, and Google will get you there.  Google Scholar metrics show high retrieval rates  from certain subject categories in arXiv.  This is the time not of the open access journal but the open access institutional repository.  The scientific journal system is probably not financially feasible anymore, given high cancellation rates by academic libraries, and the open access institutional repository will probably replace it..

Stephen J Bensman, Ph.D.
LSU Libraries
Lousiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803