Higgs boson

Colin Paul Gloster Colin_Paul_Gloster at ACM.ORG
Wed Feb 19 08:21:48 EST 2014

On 19/02/2014, Lutz Bornmann sent:
|" On the origins and the historical roots of the Higgs boson research from a|
|                          bibliometric perspective                          |
|Andreas Barth, Werner Marx, Lutz Bornmann, Ruediger Mutz                    |
|[. . .]                                                                     |
|Subject of our present paper is the analysis of the origins or historical   |
|roots of the Higgs boson research from a bibliometric perspective, using a  |
|segmented regression analysis in a reference publication year spectroscopy  |
|(RPYS)."                                                                    |

Dear Dr. Bornmann:

May I suggest replacing this by
A subject of our present paper is the analysis of the origins or historical
roots of the Higgs-boson research from a bibliometric perspective, using a
segmented-regression analysis in a reference-publication-year spectroscopy
(RPYS)
?

|" Our analysis is based on the references cited in the Higgs boson|
|publications published since 1974."                               |

May I suggest replacing this by
Our analysis is based on references cited in Higgs-boson
publications published since 1974
?

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|" The objective of our analysis consists of                             |
|identifying concrete individual publications in the Higgs boson research|
|context to which the scientific community frequently had referred to."  |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

May I suggest replacing this by
An objective of our analysis consists of
identifying concrete individual publications in the Higgs-boson-research
context to which the scientific community frequently had referred to
?

|"[. . .] Our results show that                                           |
|researchers in the Higgs boson field preferably refer to more recently   |
|published papers - particular papers published since the beginning of the|
|sixties."                                                                |

May I suggest replacing this by
Our results show that
researchers in the Higgs-boson field preferably refer to more recently
published papers - particularly papers published since the beginning of the
1960's
?

|" For example, our analysis reveals seven major contributions which         |
|appeared within the sixties: Englert and Brout (1964), Higgs (1964, 2       |
|papers), and Guralnik et al. (1964) on the Higgs mechanism as well as       |
|Glashow (1961), Weinberg (1967), and Salam (1968) on the unification of weak|
|and electromagnetic interaction."                                           |

May I suggest replacing this by
For example, our analysis reveals seven major contributions which
appeared during the 1960's: Englert and Brout (1964), Higgs (1964, 2
papers), and Guralnik et al. (1964) on the Higgs mechanism as well as
Glashow (1961), Weinberg (1967), and Salam (1968) on the unification of weak
and electromagnetic interaction
?

|" Even if the Nobel Prize award highlights                                  |
|the outstanding importance of the work of Peter Higgs and Francois Englert, |
|bibliometrics offer the additional possibility of getting hints to other    |
|publications in this research field (especially to historical publications),|
|which are of vital importance from the expert point of view.                |
|[. . .]"                                                                    |

May I suggest replacing this by
Even if the Nobel-Prize award highlights
the outstanding importance of the work of Peter Higgs and François Englert,
bibliometrics offer the additional possibility of getting hints to other
publications in this research field (especially to historical publications),
which are of vital importance from the expert point of view
?

Yours sincerely,
Colin Paul Gloster of the Department of Physics of the University of
Coimbra