Is The Science of Science As A Field of Study In Its Own Right Alive Or Dead?

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Sun Feb 16 22:32:51 EST 2014

Clifford,

I am not sure that anyone is working on the specific problem that you are interested in, whatever it is, but it does not follow that we have given up on the science of science. The field is quite robust and you cannot simply define it away. Unfortunately I cannot understand what you are looking for, so I cannot help you. Perhaps others here can.

If you are looking for the analytic essence of science I suppose Carnap's "Introduction" is as good a place to start as any. See http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Philosophy-Science-Rudolf-Carnap/dp/0486283186/ref=la_B001HCU3KC_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392602506&sr=1-2.

But sciences really do not have essences, including the science of science. They are defined by their subject matter and our approach to that. Science is what science studies and what scientists think and do. That is where Kuhn comes in.

Good luck,

David